FreakBoards 2024 SNES/GENS Book Club #1: MARIO vs SONIC

Talk about games! Anyone can play these games. We're about to release new games (and you'll love these games)
Cuboid64
You can say anything you want online, o poster mine.
Brazil

FreakBoards 2024 SNES/GENS Book Club #1: MARIO vs SONIC

Post by Cuboid64 »

Previous Threads
Spoiler!

FREAKBOARDS 2023 SNES/GENESIS (or Mega Drive) BOOK CLUB STARTS NOW!

When I was dead broke, I couldn't picture this! Back in the good old 90s there were two titans of video games. Nintendo and Sega. While one of them fared out way better in the end they were both equally considered titans of their day. Sometimes they shared games, but they had their own top of the line exclusives as well. Between Mode 7 and Blast Processing you were guarenteed a step up from the NES (or Master System) if you upgraded! So, let's enjoy both of them this year.

What is this?
Every month a game (or gameS or themed set of games) will be chosen at random (or voted on) and the goal is to beat it, or at least get as far as you can in it. It’s not a race, not a requirement, just play an old-ass game you haven’t otherwise thought to give the time to. You might find a new old favorite or at least learn something about it!

How long does this go on for?
Until the end of the month! You’re free to keep playing the game afterwards, but the thread will be unpinned.

Who can join in and How?
Everyone and anyone! There’s no registration necessary, just find a way to play the month’s game! Whether it’s a PC emulator, a piece of boutique hardware, or even on ORIGINAL hardware, any way’s fine as long as you’re able to play the game.

Also not a huge necessity but very welcome: log your gameplay! Screenshots, text, video, art, keep us up to date on where you are and what you think about the game as you go! At the very least give us a screenshot of where you are at the end of the month.
So what’s the game(s) this month?!

ImageImage

MARIO vs. SONIC

I mean, gotta start with this (or get it out of the way) right? Back when mascots were a thing you had to have none reigned supreme more than Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog. Which is why for this month, your goal is to play any Mario and/or Sonic game on the SNES or Genesis you choose. Mario 2 or Sonic 3? Sure! Super Mario Kart and Knuckles Choatix? Er, ok! Mario Paint and Sonic Eraser? I won't judge.

Play as little or as much as you want! We'll reconvene on the 25th to see what we'll do next much.
Cuboid64
Brazil

Re: FreakBoards 2024 SNES/GENS Book Club #1: MARIO vs SONIC

Post by Cuboid64 »

BIG RULES UPDATE FOR THIS YEAR.

You may play ROM hacks. The hack must use the game or game (s) befitting the month's theme as a base.
Cuboid64
Brazil

Post by Cuboid64 »

I think i'll be digging into Super Mario World, but specifically the SMWcentral 12th Annual Vanilla Level Design Contest: Collaboration Hack I want to see what you can DO to this game.

Mak-Etcetera
✦{Waiting for DELTARUNE}✦
Italy

Post by Mak-Etcetera »

oh this months gonna be tough... im pickin mario but with hacks available theres so many good options!
ImageImageImageImageImage
VentusVulture
gayass animal
Wales

Post by VentusVulture »

I'm playing through a Brazilian SMW collab romhack called 1st Kochobo Dourado collab, it's really cool so far! This is like the second SMW romhack I've ever played (the first being the VLDC12 for a few hours earlier today) but I'm really impressed so far. I even want to 100% it and collect all the dragon coins, which is something I can't say for base SMW! If you play it I recommend finding either the frozen level or the factory level on the upper part of the map (through the pipe), the factory level especially – there's something really cool in it that I won't spoil in case you do want to play it :) Though I haven't played through all the maps yet so I don't know what other kinds of cool levels there are quite yet.
VentusVulture
gayass animal
Wales

Post by VentusVulture »

Finished the Kochobo Dourado hack! I managed to 100% every level, except for finding the moon in the level "Ataque Surpresa," I went through the level like six times trying to find it but gave up. It's a pretty great collab, lots of good level design. My favorite levels would have to be the factory and ice levels in the upper part, and the fire level in the lower part (located at the bowser rock in the upper area, the castle in the ice area in the upper area, and the castle in the lower area respectively). It also seems like there will be more levels in the future, since there's one level that has a message box saying to buy the DLC (which doesn't exist) or wait for an update to play it. There's lots of great music remixes in the levels as well. i guess my only criticism, though this is less to do with the romhack and moreso about the base game, is that I wish Yoshi coins stayed after you died or finished the level so they were nicer to 100%. But aside from that I had a lot of fun with it and I recommend it, especially since it isn't too long, with only 14 levels. Though I recommend having a Portuguese translator open so you can read what all the message boxes say lol
VentusVulture
gayass animal
Wales

Post by VentusVulture »

Started playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles today, got to the carnival (I was going to play Chaotix since I like Vector but that's on the 32x and not the genesis :( Though the prototype version is on this system so I guess I could play that too). Admittedly this is only like the third 2d sonic game I've ever played and I thought the first was mediocre and didn't get past the fourth stage of the second, but I've really liked the level design of this one so far and how it accounts for Knuckles' gliding. Also I've found like three chaos emeralds. I love the blue spheres stages they're like the only part of this game I'm actually good at
Cuboid64
Brazil

Post by Cuboid64 »

Played a bit of the hack and like, i've definitely fallen into the problem I have with most hacks where the level design is decidedly made for someone who's well familiar with Mario. And like, i'm probably one of those guys at this point! But i'd much rather a more normal difficulty curve. Level design contest or not, I don't think you should start off with having to ride winged blocks above pits, with the level checkpoint being above a pit!
VentusVulture
gayass animal
Wales

Post by VentusVulture »

Finished Sonic 3 & Knuckles! What a game. I like never play 2d sonic but this one was fantastic. The level design is immaculate and that final boss was cool as shit. Launch zone and flying battery's music are also really good even if michael jackson won't ever let anyone hear the former again. And hearing angel island act 2 reminded me of ultimate flash sonic... I used to speedrun that game back in 6th grade... all two of its zones at least.
Also: I want to find a romhack that's only the get blue spheres part of the game. I would get straight up addicted to it I think. I love getting blue balls
stratsodia
gay
Canada

Post by stratsodia »

I decided I'm gonna finally finish Super Mario World for this month. I've started the game tons of times, but I never actually finished it. And so far the game is great. I think I finally get it now, like the game is fun as hell. Right now I'm aiming for all secret exits and it hasn't been tooo bad yet (aside from like, cheese bridge area, that was rough). I should be coming up on the end soon so I'll see if I can beat the special zone too.