FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #2: Super Mario (And Wario) Land (GB)

Talk about games! Anyone can play these games. We're about to release new games (and you'll love these games)
Cuboid64
You can say anything you want online, o poster mine.
Brazil

FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #2: Super Mario (And Wario) Land (GB)

Post by Cuboid64 »

Previous Threads
🗺️ #1: Legend of Zelda (NES) ⚔️

Curious about what this is? Here’s the explainer!
Spoiler!
What is this?
Every month a game will be chosen at random and the goal is to beat it, or at least get as far as you can in it. It’s not a race, not a requirement, just play an old-ass game you haven’t otherwise thought to give the time to. You might find a new old favorite or at least learn something about it!

How long does this go on for?
Until the end of the month! You’re free to keep playing the game afterwards, but the thread will be unpinned.

Who can join in and How?
Everyone and anyone! There’s no registration necessary, just find a way to play the month’s game! Whether it’s a PC emulator, a piece of boutique hardware, or even on ORIGINAL hardware, any way’s fine as long as you’re able to play the game. I’m gonna say cosmetic hacks are fine? If you want to play as someone else then go for it, just keep the base game the same.

Also not a huge necessity but very welcome: log your gameplay! Screenshots, text, video, art, keep us up to date on where you are and what you think about the game as you go! At the very least give us a screenshot of where you are at the end of the month.

It’s hard to talk about early Nintendo without talking about the Game Boy, a handheld system introduced back in 1989. A follow-up to the Game and Watch handheld games, it’s dot-matrix screen let you play games on the go, assuming you had enough light (and batteries) to play them under. And what games it had!
Spare me the history, what’s the game this month?

ImageImageImageImageImage

What are the games you mean?

Since Mario Land alone would be pretty short, this month is a Player’s Choice month! You can choose any number of games from the Game Boy (and Game Boy Color) series of Mario Land games. Just wanna play SML1 and be done? Go ahead! Want to just play Wario Land 1 and 2? Go for it!

The Mario Land games are cool to me for kind of doing their own thing in the face of what was happening on home consoles. They reigned it back in a little for 2 but still made it pretty unique. And then of course they rolled into Wario Land and came up with something pretty different! This is the second time i’ve linked a Gaming Historian video but he just goes into it SUPER well and matches my thoughts near exactly.

And so begins month! Feed your greed or just go on an adventure, just give us some updates from time to time!
ROBBYDUDE
I BLADE YOU FOREWELL
Italy

Re: FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #2: Super Mario (And Wario) Land (GB)

Post by ROBBYDUDE »

|^^^^^^^^^^^^| ,,
| SEXY TRUCK | '|""";.||.___.
|_..._...______==== _|__|..., ] |
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)
Cuboid64
Brazil

Post by Cuboid64 »

^ Thread theme ^
Cuboid64
Brazil

Post by Cuboid64 »

Playing a little here and there of WL1 on the Analogue Pocket in GBC mode, got past the first 'world?' It's a little simpler than I expected but I dig it so far. Haven't found anything for the letter spots at the end of courses.

Assorted screenshots
Spoiler!
Image Image Image Image Image Image
goblinoidguy
gay

Post by goblinoidguy »

Gonna participate this time and doodle along aswell cause i thought'd be fun!!! I've chosen to beat Wario Land 3 cause ive been meaning to play it, if i beat it too quickly i might go back and play another! so i've played about an hour and its been fun, slower paced then i expected but still really addictive. and just...wario doing wario things is so cool! i'll put my doodle under a spoiler so it doesnt take up space.
Spoiler!
i love wario's white and black clothing design, it makes him feel like just an average working guy rather than the usual bright yellow and blue!
Image ImageImage
Crowbill
gay
Croatia

Post by Crowbill »

Beat Super Mario Land! Indeed it was super short, but super fun! Except being a bit clunky with the controls, I think the thing that surprised me most was the music, especially with how invincibility and bonus stages were like, completely non-mariocore, at least compared to the usual stuff. It still had a lot of charm, and it certainly deserves have a spot on the shelf with the good mario titles.

Spoiler!

I think I'll try playing through all of them though! Seeing Wario Land 3 on the list hit me with nostalgia because I think it was like the second game I ever beat as a kid, right next to like, that untranslated Rocket Slime game that was on the GBA.
goblinoidguy
gay

Post by goblinoidguy »

made some progress! got the ground-pound, which is a little weird to have to unlock but it feels good to have! other than that just filled up a crater with rain on the world map, its really cool how things change over time! another doodle under the spoiler!
Spoiler!
ground-pound power!!
Image ImageImage
goblinoidguy
gay

Post by goblinoidguy »

finally unlocked swimming!! i was waiting for this one for a while! also encountered a glitch so i thought i might as well document how to get around it!Image
if you get to this spot and cannot climb up, use the save feature in the level and reset your console, it should work when you boot it back up, also doodle under the spoiler!
Spoiler!
it was so frustrating not being able to swim!
Image ImageImage
rio_hearts
gay
United States of America

Post by rio_hearts »

🗿
Spoiler!
rio_hearts
gay
United States of America

Post by rio_hearts »

rio_hearts wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:30 pm 🗿
Spoiler!
sorry, had to edit that cause postimages had a weird link attached to it 😓