FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #1: The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Talk about games! Anyone can play these games. We're about to release new games (and you'll love these games)
Cuboid64
You can say anything you want online, o poster mine.
Brazil

FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #1: The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Cuboid64 »

FREAKBOARDS 2023 NES/GB BOOK CLUB STARTS NOW!

Maybe you’ve heard of it! An 8—bit system put out by Nintendo back in 1985 (1983 for the slick red/white Famicom) after the big video game crash. It was pretty big and important! Had a hell of a lot of games! And having been born in 1993 with my first real console being an N64, I don’t really respect a lot of them. I’d like to change that!

Also we’re gonna do Game Boy games! But i’ll give them their due when we get there.

What is this?
Every month a game will be chosen at random and the goal is to beat it, or at least get as far as you can in it. It’s not a race, not a requirement, just play an old-ass game you haven’t otherwise thought to give the time to. You might find a new old favorite or at least learn something about it!

How long does this go on for?
Until the end of the month! You’re free to keep playing the game afterwards, but the thread will be unpinned.

Who can join in and How?
Everyone and anyone! There’s no registration necessary, just find a way to play the month’s game! Whether it’s a PC emulator, a piece of boutique hardware, or even on ORIGINAL hardware, any way’s fine as long as you’re able to play the game. I’m gonna say cosmetic hacks are fine? If you want to play as someone else then go for it, just keep the base game the same.

Also not a huge necessity but very welcome: log your gameplay! Screenshots, text, video, art, keep us up to date on where you are and what you think about the game as you go! At the very least give us a screenshot of where you are at the end of the month.
So what’s the game this month?!

The Legend of Zelda
released 1986
I felt like it might be good to start with something relatively simple and known, and also pretty easy to access damn near anywhere. Originally a Famicom Disk System game, you are Link (or whatever name you feel like putting in) questing through the land of Hyrule to collect pieces of the Triforce, stop Ganon, and save Princess Zelda. Easy enough, eh?

With that, the Book Club (Game Club?) has begun! Go on a little adventure and have some fun! But it’s dangerous to go alone of course, so keep us posted!
Image Image Image
Gear_Sphere
any pronouncs *thumbs up*
United States of America

Re: FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #1: The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by Gear_Sphere »

oh this is really cool! ive never actually played the og so this is as good a time as any
Image Image
Gear_Sphere
United States of America

Post by Gear_Sphere »

not sure if its an emulator thing but i used a bomb and walked through a door and everythings grey Image
Image Image
Gear_Sphere
United States of America

Post by Gear_Sphere »

Gear_Sphere wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:50 am not sure if its an emulator thing but i used a bomb and walked through a door and everythings grey Image
nvm it returned to normal after going through a door
Image Image
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

I'm ready to start my grand adventure!!

I've never actually played the original they really just drop you right into it huh.

The emulator I'm using has pretty bad controls so I might try another one. It's making the game harder than it feels like is intended.
Image Signature Under Construction Image (until I think of a better one)
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

Game is much easier to control with a pc emulator o7
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

This game whips so much ass I'm loving it so far. No wonder they made a decades long series out of this.

Beat my first dungeon!
Spoiler!
and got the boomerang and the bow, but no arrows yet.
Gonna take a break for a bit but I'll probably play some more before I go to bed.
Gear_Sphere
United States of America

Post by Gear_Sphere »

ive decided to draw out a map of the overworld as i go!
the games pretty good, a little easier than i expected, I kind of want to pull up a pdf of the manual
Image Image
Gear_Sphere
United States of America

Post by Gear_Sphere »

Gear_Sphere wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:56 pm ive decided to draw out a map of the overworld as i go!
the games pretty good, a little easier than i expected, I kind of want to pull up a pdf of the manual
oh sick internet archive has a really high quality scan of it!!
Image Image
Gear_Sphere
United States of America

Post by Gear_Sphere »

Gear_Sphere wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:10 pm
Gear_Sphere wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:56 pm ive decided to draw out a map of the overworld as i go!
oh sick internet archive has a really high quality scan of it!!
big fan of this link
Image Image