FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #1: The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Talk about games! Anyone can play these games. We're about to release new games (and you'll love these games)
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Re: FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #1: The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by SkieSquiggles »

Beat the game!! The last dungeon had fun ideas in some places but veeery frustrating ones in others. Had a ton of fun playing tho and I'm really excited for next month!

I think overall my favorite dungeon was the 7th one, it felt the most like a classic dnd dungeon to me.
Image Signature Under Construction Image (until I think of a better one)
gnurst
Dodo
Canada

Post by gnurst »

started playing the game again (which means i have to SOMEWHAT start over? i have all my rupees and bombs and stuff i just start back at where you usually do that) and this game is... Confusing to say the least so i'm going to use a guide to... guide myself.

with that said, Leevers are the spawn of Satan
Image Wa! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Spoiler!
Image <- Fergus.
gnurst
Dodo
Canada

Post by gnurst »

ALSO I FOUND A SECRET DOOR AND ALL IT DID WAS ROB ME LOL
Image Wa! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Spoiler!
Image <- Fergus.
gnurst
Dodo
Canada

Post by gnurst »

Spoiler!
After about 2 days of gameplay (and a week of procrastination,) I have saved Hyrule from the evil of Ganon.
My final thoughts on the game: spoilers BTW This certainly does have "first piece of media in a franchise" syndrome, where compared to what comes after it it doesn't really hold up that well. Not to say "The Legend of Zelda" is a bad game, per se, it just doesn't live up to titles like "Ocarina of Time" and "Skyward Sword." The most difficult dungeon of the 9 was Death Mountain, one of the last in the game. I barely survived the onslaughts of Wizzrobes. Magic isn't fun when it's used against you, as it turns out. My favorite dungeon of the bunch would have to be the 3rd dungeon (Officially named "The Manji," but is what I so lovingly call "The Nazi Dungeon." I'm sure you can guess why.)

All of the enemies aren't too horrendous to fight, but there is one singular enemy that I grew to absolutely despise.

Fucking Bubbles.
You cannot kill them, and if you get hurt by them they say "fuck you" and steal your sword for two seconds which might either get you killed or have your shit eaten by a Like Like.
Fuck Bubbles.

The bosses were relatively easy, with one of them (Manhandla, in The Nazi Dungeon) literally being took down with one bomb (which I think is a L.O.L [LAUGH OUT LOUD] Moment™.) The fight with Ganon wasn't that hard either, but I had fun with it.

Overall, I don't think this is my favorite of the "Legend of Zelda" games, but it was certainly a game I had a little bit of fun with. I do think I would recommend one of the newer games for your first, though.

FINAL SCORE: 2.5/5 Dodo Points Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by gnurst on Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Wa! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Spoiler!
Image <- Fergus.
Fastplant64
Actual Wizard
United States of America

Post by Fastplant64 »

gnurst wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:02 am
Spoiler!
After about 2 days of gameplay (and a week of procrastination,) I have saved Hyrule from the evil of Ganon.
My final thoughts on the game: spoilers BTW This certainly does have "first piece of media in a franchise" syndrome, where compared to what comes after it it doesn't really hold up that well. Not to say "The Legend of Zelda" is a bad game, per se, it just doesn't live up to titles like "Ocarina of Time" and "Skyward Sword." The most difficult dungeon of the 9 was Death Mountain, one of the last in the game. I barely survived the onslaughts of Wizzrobes. Magic isn't fun when it's used against you, as it turns out. My favorite dungeon of the bunch would have to be the 3rd dungeon (Officially named "The Manji," but is what I so lovingly call "The Nazi Dungeon." I'm sure you can guess why.)

All of the enemies aren't too horrendous to fight, but there is one singular enemy that I grew to absolutely despise.

Fucking Bubbles.
You cannot kill them, and if you get hurt by them they say "fuck you" and steal your sword for two seconds which might either get you killed or have your shit eaten by a Like Like.
Fuck Bubbles.

The bosses were relatively easy, with one of them (Manhandla, in The Nazi Dungeon) literally being took down with one bomb (which I think is a L.O.L [LAUGH OUT LOUD] Moment™.) The fight with Ganon wasn't that hard either, but I had fun with it.

Overall, I don't think this is my favorite of the "Legend of Zelda" games, but it was certainly a game I had a little bit of fun with. I do think I would recommend one of the newer games for your first, though.

FINAL SCORE: 3.5/5 Dodo Points Image Image Image Image Image Image
FUCK BUBBLES FOR REAL
Cuboid64
You can say anything you want online, o poster mine.
Brazil

Post by Cuboid64 »

LAST FIVE DAYS!

We're coming up on the end of January, and the end of LoZ's time in the sun. If you've beaten it, hope you had fun and enjoyed it! I sure haven't yet! If you also haven't, no rush! This thread isn't getting deleted and you're more than welcome to keep posting about your experience in it, it just won't be pinned.

That said, it's time to figure what next month's game will be! First off it's gonna be Game Boy. The plan is to alternate NES and GB every month, with some special cases. And while i've picked the game(s) myself, starting February we'll be doing a poll to pick games in the future, save for a special case come summer! And for the month of February, we'll be doing... Mario Land!!

But, it's kinda short? You can beat it in an hour? So, why limit ourselves? Mario Land as a whole is kinda tied to the Game Boy. So... our focus for February will be the entire GB/C Mario Land library.

ImageImageImageImageImage

And yes, you saw that right, we're counting Wario Land. How could we not! February will be a Player's Choice Month where you can pick whichever and how many ever from a set of games you want to play! Personally i've never really played much of the Wario Land games pre-4 so that's where i'm probably headed. See you next month!
pea_txt
Moderator of the Cinema & TV subforum
Monaco

Post by pea_txt »

wario land series owns and you should play them
rio_hearts
gay
United States of America

Post by rio_hearts »

I JUST BEAT GANON AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rio_hearts
gay
United States of America

Post by rio_hearts »

I had a good time with the game up until dungeon 5. I'd get stuck halfway through the dungeon and need to look up a guide. Sometimes you can't brute force it. You gotta leave the level and stock up on hearts. Also, the blue darknuts and wizzrobes are fucked up why did they make them like that?