FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #2: Super Mario (And Wario) Land (GB)

Talk about games! Anyone can play these games. We're about to release new games (and you'll love these games)
Junkbot3000
Catgirl wizard allmighty

Re: FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #2: Super Mario (And Wario) Land (GB)

Post by Junkbot3000 »

SIMON SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
ImageImageImage
She/They/it 8-)
goblinoidguy
gay

Post by goblinoidguy »

you are all insane, metal gear is the obvious answer
Image ImageImage
MAWKIISH_SEASON2
level 49
United States of America

Post by MAWKIISH_SEASON2 »

Takeshi’s Challenge SWEEP
TAKESHI'S FREAKBOARDS SWEEP
Fastplant64
Actual Wizard
United States of America

Post by Fastplant64 »

man, if the nes version of metal gear wasn’t such a shitty port it would be the best pick, so I gotta go with takeshi’s challenge.
Crowbill
gay
Croatia

Post by Crowbill »

SIMONS QUEST BAYBEEEE
Cuboid64
You can say anything you want online, o poster mine.
Brazil

Post by Cuboid64 »

Voting tally as of 2/26/2023 10:03 AM EST IS:
  • Castlevania 2 - 7
  • Metal Gear - 1
  • Takeshi's Challenge - 3
coin-cache
gay
United States of America

Post by coin-cache »

slipping in right before the end but i have finished wario land 3 wooo. I think one of the big things about this game to me is how much world-building there is for a game that doesn't seem to have that much explicit lore, all the ways the treasures interact and change the world is genuinely so cool.
(spoiler for optional treasures/lategame treasures)
Spoiler!
the run up through the tower of revival to unlocking above the clouds is still so cool to me. My one confusion is with the final treasure after above the clouds, it's such a random pick lol
also really really good level design, it's a pretty mean game and yea does not respect your time but i do think it's worth it if that's not too off-putting. There's a loot of variety with all the chests, the music coins are fun too and have some of the coolest puzzles but they're also pretty repetitive since you have to do over most of the levels almost entirely to get them all. Final thing but WL2 is also really really good and pairs pretty well with 3, it's a pretty different feel designwise which is cool, i didn't get around to it this month but it's def worth replaying

also i have voted for next game already so all good there
gnurst
Dodo
Canada

Post by gnurst »

i beat video game
----------------------------------------------- OK, first and foremost, I've been caught up in Real Life® so I do apologize for doing this last minute. But hey, better late than never, right?
Platform games (and specifically Mario games) are kind of built into my blood and DNA, so there wasn't any much difficulty. Even putting aside the fact that I'm pretty good at platformers, I wouldn't imagine 8-year-old me having difficulty with this game either. 3 worlds with 2 actual levels each is still a good appetizer for a full course meal such as, for example, "Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins" (which I have yet to play but will Soon™.)
... I don't know how they did it, but they somehow made the Fire Flower bad. Instead of how it would control in a regular Mario game like "Super Mario Brothers," they made the fireball go in a weird fucking arc of some sort, and therefore you will never be able to hit an enemy you are intentionally trying to kill, especially if it is directly in front of you. ... Image
Moai.
... My personal favorite world of the bunch was the third. It had good design, played well, and also was based off Moai. so that's a plus. The "vehicle"(?) sections were my favorite levels, considering you could just mash the B button to rapid fire and turn this into a Rambo movie with cartoon chickens, fish, and aliens. I feel like maybe Tatanga had any and all semblance of "challenge" he had as a result immediately stripped away and beaten over his head with as I beat what is supposed to be the final boss in like, 30 seconds. I wish he was more difficult. FINAL SCORE:
3/5 Dodo Points
ImageImageImageImageImage
... side note: the fact you fuckers are making me have to play "Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest" is something i would not wish on my worst enemy. you're all monsters
Image Wa! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Spoiler!
Image <- Fergus.
Fastplant64
Actual Wizard
United States of America

Post by Fastplant64 »

Just popping in here a couple minutes score March (CST timezone) to say I played the first two Mario lands. First one is rough but cute. Second one owns tremendously, but damn I got stuck towards the end when it undo the boss fights after every game over. Brutal stuff. I didn’t get the chance to finish it, but it’s quickly become one of my favorite 2D Mario’s. As for Wario land, I’m truly excited to start playing those over my spring break. Those games have never been on my radar for whatever reason so I’m real excited and glad that this thread has properly introduced me to the series. Alright time for SMELLY’S QUEST.