Horror movies! Ah!

Welcome to the first episode of my new podcast,. Today we will dicuss the latest in movies and anime, hbo max, prestige tv, sienfeld on tv must see tv, out now, discuss comics books, words books, picture books, new cohost books. We klove books and television, discuss books and television. Anime
Fastplant64
Actual Wizard
United States of America

Re: Horror movies! Ah!

Post by Fastplant64 »

BubblyBatty wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:24 pm
Fastplant64 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:25 am

I watched Deep Red last summer and I agree, it fucking slaps. The only other Argento I've seen is Phenomena (which is so wild that I cannot help but love it) and I will need to crack into more of his filmography, as well as some more Giallo films. It's a great genre of horror that I just don't see discussed enough.
I really recommend the original 1977 Suspira! Not Giallo but still one of Argento's best
Yeah, I REALLY need to get to that one. I saw the remake a few years back and it RIPS.
BubblyBatty
FreakBoards #1 Chumbawamba fan
United States of America

Post by BubblyBatty »

Just watched Lucio Fulci's City of the Living Dead/Gates of Hell. WILD movie. feels like a fever dream in the best way. I've seen his first zombie movie just titled Zombie before so i thought i knew what to expect but this caught me so off guard. Very very weird i gotta watch the other two Gates of Hell movies now. Very different take on zombies, very supernatural.
BubblyBatty
United States of America

Post by BubblyBatty »

The second Gates of Hell movie, The Beyond, is not as fun or bombastic as City of the Living Dead, a little boring honestly. Neat ending though. Honestly only really recommend it if you're like me and like watching whole trilogies for like posterity i guess?
BubblyBatty
United States of America

Post by BubblyBatty »

Just watch Entwined, a Greek arthouse/"elevated" horror movie. Its pretty good!
Spoiler!
Its thematically about abusive relationships and how and how an abuser can control you.
Its like a lower key A24 movie, if you like art house stuff i really recommend it, i watched it on Shudder. Really pretty movie. I dont think i've ever watched any greek movies before so i think i might look into it sometime.
SlothfulSpectre
Going 5 Dollar Mode
Brazil

Post by SlothfulSpectre »

just watched skinamarink

movie sucks ass lol
BubblyBatty
United States of America

Post by BubblyBatty »

Watched Evil Dead Trap/Shiryō no wana, really good J Horror. Visually stunning movie. Worth going over the Does The Dog Die for this one though, theres one scene thats uhhhhh upsetting to say the least. The lighting, the effects, the camera work, its all phenominal. The whole thing has very survival horror game vibes as well. It came out a year before Sweet Home which is considered the first survival horror game so i wonder if it had any influence on the genre.
I'll put a cw for the most upsetting scene in the film in a spoiler here if you just want to know if you're interesting in the movie
Spoiler!
There is an extended sexual assault scene in the movie, it is way longer than it has any right to be
BubblyBatty
United States of America

Post by BubblyBatty »

SlothfulSpectre wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:22 pm just watched skinamarink

movie sucks ass lol
I can see why skinamarink appeals to people but like to me theres just no substance to the movie. Some neat ideas in there and there were certainly scenes that i liked but it just was not worth it to me to sit there looking at nothing. Even some of the scenes where something interesting was happening it took ages longer than it needed to and genuinely made me want to slam my head on my desk lol
SlothfulSpectre
Going 5 Dollar Mode
Brazil

BubblyBatty wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:01 pm
SlothfulSpectre wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:22 pm just watched skinamarink

movie sucks ass lol
I can see why skinamarink appeals to people but like to me theres just no substance to the movie. Some neat ideas in there and there were certainly scenes that i liked but it just was not worth it to me to sit there looking at nothing. Even some of the scenes where something interesting was happening it took ages longer than it needed to and genuinely made me want to slam my head on my desk lol
oh for sure, i think if skinamarink was like 15 minutes long it would rule

as it is though there's like a solid 10 minutes of low angle shots of dark rooms before anything at all happens and I don't give a shit about how "artistic" it is I don't want to watch that.

Also like it has some good scary shit in there that gets completely ruined by the movie's reliance on jumpscares. The phone thing is cool! I don't need 1000 decibel ringing noise to tell me to be scared it's just annoying! All it does is make me not engage with the 95% of the movie that's borderline silent because I don't want to get baited into the jumpscare.

Skinamarink is going to be the next paranormal activity i can fucking feel it. Gonna be 100 ripoffs of this movie next year
Fastplant64
Actual Wizard
United States of America

Post by Fastplant64 »

SlothfulSpectre wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:23 am Skinamarink is going to be the next paranormal activity i can fucking feel it. Gonna be 100 ripoffs of this movie next year
Oh God, this is actually gonna happen 100%. I can feel that prediction in my bones.
SlothfulSpectre
Going 5 Dollar Mode
Brazil

Fastplant64 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:28 pm
SlothfulSpectre wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:23 am Skinamarink is going to be the next paranormal activity i can fucking feel it. Gonna be 100 ripoffs of this movie next year
Oh God, this is actually gonna happen 100%. I can feel that prediction in my bones.
I hope i'm wrong but like. budget horror movie that made way more money than it cost with the defining traits of "bad video quality" and "nothing is fucking happening onscreen". it's so low risk and low effort.