FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #6: Metal Gear (NES)

Talk about games! Anyone can play these games. We're about to release new games (and you'll love these games)
mysteryROOSTER
gay

Re: FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #6: Metal Gear (NES)

Post by mysteryROOSTER »

I beat the game and reached the credits! :] This was basically my first time playing an NES game, and it's the first one I've completed.
Spoiler!
Any kid who beat this without a guide when it came out is to be feared. Even with written walkthroughs explicitly stating what to do next, I had to look up a playthrough in order to actually understand how to execute it. I'm very used to games that make a really distinct sound and animation when my attacks damage the enemy, or just when I do something an object reacts to, so there were times I just assumed I was doing something wrong because an enemy wouldn't react at all to being shot or having grenades thrown directly onto it until it took fatal damage. Including this computer at the end - I kept thinking I would have to load a save because of wasting all my explosives using the wrong method.

(I didn't take that many screenshots because I forgot </3)

I beat the final boss though, and that means I'm finally a real gamer.
More importantly, now that I have learned this crucial and unskippable lore for the Metal Gear series that simply can't be replicated by a wiki, I can finally play the gayer ones.
ImageImageImageImageImage
coin-cache
gay
United States of America

Post by coin-cache »

mysteryROOSTER wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:37 pm I beat the game and reached the credits! :] This was basically my first time playing an NES game, and it's the first one I've completed.

More importantly, now that I have learned this crucial and unskippable lore for the Metal Gear series that simply can't be replicated by a wiki, I can finally play the gayer ones.
ooo that's awesome that you got to complete it! i haven't been able to get back to it myself yet, got stuck at a certain part so i might have to pull out the walkthrough when i get back to it.
Spoiler!
part i was at was where it seemed the next progression was to get "caught" intentionally as one of the prisoners said, haven't yet found what that could mean. otherwise i still have a few key card 2 doors to open i think.
(also is there a way to make posts with a quote and spoilers or two spoiler boxes work? seems to not work for any post other than ones with just one spoiler block for me)
Cuboid64
You can say anything you want online, o poster mine.
Brazil

Post by Cuboid64 »

I’ve definitely forgotten to actually update this again!

I don’t have another set of games for us to vote on in mind so let’s say the Book Club is going on a sort of hiatus until I figure a few out. Though you’re more than welcome to keep playing in the meantime.
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

IIII was super excited to play this one and then the lack of obvious direction kind of killed my motivation to really play it. I did later try it with an annotated map but I wasn't really able to focus on the game at the time, tis a shame too, because it seems like those who stuck it out had a fun time! Maybe I'll come back to metal gear another time when I have a little more attention I can pay it.
Image Signature Under Construction Image (until I think of a better one)
Finch
Pokéfreak Extraordinaire
Wales

Post by Finch »

Will game club resume in August? (: I miss it!
ImageImageImage
VentusVulture
gayass animal
Wales

Post by VentusVulture »

Same question as above but for September; this has been one of the more fun things I've done this year so I'd love to see it return!
Finch
Pokéfreak Extraordinaire
Wales

Post by Finch »

It is near the end of the month so I gotta ask... Game club next month? :)
ImageImageImage
Cuboid64
You can say anything you want online, o poster mine.
Brazil

Post by Cuboid64 »