Tabletop RPGs!

just keep posting thru it bitch
Jacknerik
i'm the dude
United States of America

Re: A project I have kicking around

Post by Jacknerik »

Lord wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:11 pm About a year ago I actually got really bored with how dnd worked and wanted more stuff in my wheel house, also high fantasy of most kinds bores me to death, so I actually started making my own game.
I only ever work on it in the background and it's gonna be for me and my friends only probably but from the small notes and charts I have, not anything playable what so ever, it's gonna give me what I'm after.

Which being objective, I got tired of dnd bullshit, remembered one piece of 10, and said "I want DAT" And started tinkering
I've also been tired of D&D's shit for a while, which was only amplified since expanding into to other TTRPGs and seeing what they did better. What in particular are you looking for in a TTRPG beyond not fantasy?
Lord
gay
United States of America

Post by Lord »

Jacknerik wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:08 pm
Lord wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:11 pm About a year ago I actually got really bored with how dnd worked and wanted more stuff in my wheel house, also high fantasy of most kinds bores me to death, so I actually started making my own game.
I only ever work on it in the background and it's gonna be for me and my friends only probably but from the small notes and charts I have, not anything playable what so ever, it's gonna give me what I'm after.

Which being objective, I got tired of dnd bullshit, remembered one piece of 10, and said "I want DAT" And started tinkering
I've also been tired of D&D's shit for a while, which was only amplified since expanding into to other TTRPGs and seeing what they did better. What in particular are you looking for in a TTRPG beyond not fantasy?
Honestly it's really only something I could probably make myself, what I've basically been working with is a mixture of certain fantastical things I like in general combined with media, for instance I mentioned one piece, there's also hunter hunter, strictly for the sorts of powers Jojo also falls into that, I've also taken inspiration from disco Elysium when making the character sheet and certain abilities and core concepts.

Im not making something particularly fantastical or sci-fi really, it's a weird mix where it's sort of muddied where things are tech and culture wise with all these things in sort of swim, again another apt comparison hunter hunter and one piece

Besides aesthetics a general game play thing is I'm trying to make out of combat skills more important and or involved in some way, which is where the disco Elysium stuff comes back where I'm taking inspiration from the skills and the thought cabinet stuff, and also like for the more anime bullshit powers I want, I'm sort of just lifting a lot fron nen from Hunter and also for like, what would be Jojo stands, ie, character unique powers it's more involved in that I'm making a long sort of questionnaire about what powers they like I'm media, stuff about the character, what the feel, believe, their goals, where they've came from, where you currently think they're going, ect ect, and with a bit of self interpretation I'm gonna make a unique power for them, and this won't even pop up until probably mid campaign ya know

But yeah like I said, apt comparison for what I'm after is the sort of energy you get from the 10th opening of one piece, sense of adventure, action, going forward, whimsey I guess you'd put it, like for say when we play dnd you can have your alignments all you want, but for this specifically, the players arnt gonna be running around killing things, they're heros, that's not really hero behavior, not "running in the anime intro" vibes ya know
Lord
gay
United States of America

Re: Tabletop RPGs!

Post by Lord »

Another thing is I'm cutting a majority of dnd isms out, along with general fantasy tropes and or general iconography. No evil races, loads of those Skyrim ass Tolkien things just gone, fuck elves, Orks are ok but only if they're either in 40k, or the ones I'm making that are pig like, ect ect, I'm making my own races that won't have fancy names, fish folk, cat folk, dragon folk, the furries get normal names, magic is changing to an energy system like nen and becoming way more lose, jobs and classes are 2 separate things, ect ect, just a complete overhaul to stuff I think is cooler or more fun ya know
ShrimpScampi
Slippery
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by ShrimpScampi »

Lord wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:53 pm But yeah like I said, apt comparison for what I'm after is the sort of energy you get from the 10th opening of one piece, sense of adventure, action, going forward, whimsey I guess you'd put it, like for say when we play dnd you can have your alignments all you want, but for this specifically, the players arnt gonna be running around killing things, they're heros, that's not really hero behavior, not "running in the anime intro" vibes ya know
Hey this is dope. I love the idea of chasing a vibe when making a thing. Now I wanna do my own anime intro run :cry:
Jacknerik
i'm the dude
United States of America

Post by Jacknerik »

Lord wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:57 pm Another thing is I'm cutting a majority of dnd isms out, along with general fantasy tropes and or general iconography. No evil races, loads of those Skyrim ass Tolkien things just gone, fuck elves, Orks are ok but only if they're either in 40k, or the ones I'm making that are pig like, ect ect, I'm making my own races that won't have fancy names, fish folk, cat folk, dragon folk, the furries get normal names, magic is changing to an energy system like nen and becoming way more lose, jobs and classes are 2 separate things, ect ect, just a complete overhaul to stuff I think is cooler or more fun ya know
Sounds really cool! I like seeing where people take what they like about their style of roleplaying and building off of that. A lot of what you list here lines up with what ICON (from the same guy who made lancer LANCER) is trying to do, I would recommend checking that out if you want inspiration.
When you say "jobs and classes are 2 separate things", do you mean there's one role for combat and one role for narrative stuff?
Lord
gay
United States of America

Post by Lord »

Jacknerik wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:23 pm
Lord wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:57 pm Another thing is I'm cutting a majority of dnd isms out, along with general fantasy tropes and or general iconography. No evil races, loads of those Skyrim ass Tolkien things just gone, fuck elves, Orks are ok but only if they're either in 40k, or the ones I'm making that are pig like, ect ect, I'm making my own races that won't have fancy names, fish folk, cat folk, dragon folk, the furries get normal names, magic is changing to an energy system like nen and becoming way more lose, jobs and classes are 2 separate things, ect ect, just a complete overhaul to stuff I think is cooler or more fun ya know
Sounds really cool! I like seeing where people take what they like about their style of roleplaying and building off of that. A lot of what you list here lines up with what ICON (from the same guy who made lancer LANCER) is trying to do, I would recommend checking that out if you want inspiration.
When you say "jobs and classes are 2 separate things", do you mean there's one role for combat and one role for narrative stuff?
Oh basically I just made it so, classes are how you fight, jobs are what you do. Essentially say you're like, a buccaneer, who happens to be a mechanic, so the buccaneers would have advantage on using things like swords, light pistols, hand to hand, and a mechanic would get advantage on working with machinery and fixing them, ect ect, just a separate layer of distinction to add a little more variety to a character, cause im putting in the 3, tentatively 4, layers to a character besides raw stats which are a whole other things, race attributes, class attributes, and job attributes. And the last one wouldn't come until later when the players get in the shit enough to discover said energy system I described earlier and actually start on their way to more unique powers, but with that it would be how they channel their body and souls innate energy, like I'll have names for it later that arnt just LITERALLY taken from Hunter hunter, but shit like, do you manipulate objects with it, do you power yourself and or other things up, do you transform your energy into a construct, does your energy detach from your body in some way, some unique effects, ect ect, and then after enough development I'd give them their unique ability I'd been crafting away at like an old metal smith
Lord
gay
United States of America

Post by Lord »

Also since this is still early planning stages I don't have everything set out yet, like how certain classes and jobs give you out of combat advantages like with knowledge checks and or community checks, like you know something about old martial arts history, or you can talk pretty good with the local mechanics due to your shared passion, stuff like that and or other things, this isn't gonna be done for a good long while anyway
ShrimpScampi
Slippery
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by ShrimpScampi »

how do I find a tabletop group that wants to play lancer
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

Ttrpgs are one of my favorite hobbies! I haven't played as many as I'd like but the experience of playing a cool game with friends while building a story with them is something I enjoy a ton.

I prefer alternative systems to dnd but I do still play it lol.

If anyone would like to set up some sort of play group let me know because I'm willing to dm or play as a player! :D
Image Signature Under Construction Image (until I think of a better one)
Jacknerik
i'm the dude
United States of America

Post by Jacknerik »

ShrimpScampi wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:03 pm how do I find a tabletop group that wants to play lancer
Welcome to the struggle. I've been trying to find a full campaign since I first discovered it 2 years ago, but haven't had any luck. I've still played a bunch of games through Interpoint Station and would recommend checking them out if you really want hands on experience of combat, but that's pure combat. Once I get a job again, I'm planning to sub to their patreon and use their tools to run a campaign in Roll 20 with my friend group, but I might need another player or two so I'll keep this in mind. Also I should probably make a stand alone post about how good Lancer is one of these days.