Tabletop RPGs!

just keep posting thru it bitch
ShrimpScampi
Slippery
Virgin Islands (USA)

Re: Tabletop RPGs!

Post by ShrimpScampi »

Jacknerik wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:06 pm
ShrimpScampi wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:03 pm how do I find a tabletop group that wants to play lancer
Also I should probably make a stand alone post about how good Lancer is one of these days.
if you wanted to write that I would totally read it. I'd love a thorough explanation of why lancer is a great game
skyboundnero
june's nobody
United States of America

Post by skyboundnero »

KatieIsASlimeUwU wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:41 am Been playing a Kingdom Hearts inspired TTRPG called Interstitial

Lemme introduce y'all to my character Flora Kramer
art by Stormybuckets!!!!
fuckin bunny!
HYPERVENTILATING!!!! this character is so cute and also woah!!!!! kh inspired ttrpg!!!! looking into it immediately.
Image Image
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

ShrimpScampi wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:03 pm how do I find a tabletop group that wants to play lancer
Jacknerik wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:06 pm Welcome to the struggle. I've been trying to find a full campaign since I first discovered it 2 years ago, but haven't had any luck. I've still played a bunch of games through Interpoint Station and would recommend checking them out if you really want hands on experience of combat, but that's pure combat. Once I get a job again, I'm planning to sub to their patreon and use their tools to run a campaign in Roll 20 with my friend group, but I might need another player or two so I'll keep this in mind. Also I should probably make a stand alone post about how good Lancer is one of these days.
I would absolutely LOVE to play lancer with y'all some time! I haven't played before but I do have the free rulebook and I pick up new systems pretty quickly.
Image Signature Under Construction Image (until I think of a better one)
ShrimpScampi
Slippery
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by ShrimpScampi »

SkieSquiggles wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:36 am I would absolutely LOVE to play lancer with y'all some time! I haven't played before but I do have the free rulebook and I pick up new systems pretty quickly.
Oh yeah same, it seems like a blast. I think I got the rulebook in one of those itch.io charity bundles and I read through it once a couple years back. Seemed cool but I don't remember a ton of it now.
Jacknerik
i'm the dude
United States of America

Weird TTRPGs you want to try

Post by Jacknerik »

I figured I'll bump this thread by asking what are some mechanically weird/interesting games you want to play one day? I'll start off with 3 I've been thinking about recently.

1) Spell: the RPG
All of existence and nonexistence, reality and surreality, is spoken in a Universal Language. It describes all the laws of the universe: what is and what is not, everything that ever happened and ever will, won’t, or can’t. This language is beyond the full comprehension of any mortal, though a rare few have an ear for it. These individuals can translate the Universal Language into familiar glyphs and, from there, spell out new descriptions, new laws, new realities.

I saw this mentioned in a discord conversation about a year ago and it's been stuck in my mind ever since. The basic idea is that your spells are very literal in that you draw tiles from a game like scrabble and get whatever you can spell using them. I really like the idea of a magic system that is potentially infinitely open ended if you can be clever and creative about it. Personally a lot of the other mechanics feel a bit janky but maybe I just need to see how it works in person to properly get a hang of it.

2) Roll for Shoes
1)Say what you do and roll a number of D6s, determined by the level of relevant skill you have.
2) If the sum of your roll is higher than the opposing roll, the thing you wanted to happen, happens.
3) At start, you have only one skill: Do Anything 1.
4) If you roll all sixes, you get a new skill specific to the action, one level higher than the one you used.
5) For every roll you fail, you get 1 XP.
6) XP can be used to change a die into a 6 for advancement purposes only.

At just 6 rules I think this is the most rules light game I'd actually be interested in playing. I like that it both has a level up system that feels natural without being tied to milestones or enemies, and has the potential to be funny as your skills get more and more granular. It's simplicity also means it avoids a lot of annoying design decisions I feel a lot of narrative games suffer from. Given how flexible the rules are I was thinking this could be used to expand games that don't really have many generalized roleplaying rules, like if you're running an adventure in the downtime between missions in Lancer.

3) Trespasser
Things are getting worse out there.
It's clear even from your place of rustic isolation. Hideous beasts run roughshod through the countryside, roving bands of marauders reduce settlements to smoking rubble, wide-eyed prophets babble madly at the sky, and common folk like yourself live in a constant state of terror. Well, you've had just about enough of it. No more tilling the fields in obscurity. The cracks are forming, and time is running out to live life on your own terms.

Trespasser is a really neat combination of old school deadly dungeon crawling and 4e/Lancer tactical combat. I really like the way its classes aren't tied to specific ability scores, only certain themes which give abilities are. It seems like a system that is really flexible in how you can build your character. Of course, without having a chance to play it I cant say how well the system works in practice, but it's fun to brainstorm how a potential character would work. What is the most interesting part to me is how session zero/ character creation works. Basically each player controls 4 randomly generated peasants in a super deadly "meat grinder" dungeon and whichever ones survive become the player character. I've never seen any other game do something like this and I really want to try it out.
mossymagicks
the
Germany

Post by mossymagicks »

I want to play ICON so bad.....

currently I'm about to start a 5e campaign with some friends who've never played and since I have very minmaxy tendencies I'm steering into a very supporty direction with a neat little healer Wizard build (Mark of Hospitality Halfling and 1 Level of Life Cleric on top of the usual Wizard stuff)
GET HEXED IDIOT
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

mossymagicks wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:57 am currently I'm about to start a 5e campaign with some friends who've never played and since I have very minmaxy tendencies I'm steering into a very supporty direction with a neat little healer Wizard build (Mark of Hospitality Halfling and 1 Level of Life Cleric on top of the usual Wizard stuff)
That sounds really fun! I hope y'all have a good time.
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

I think it would be really fun to play in a noir one shot, if anyone is interested or has game suggestions lmk! Fiasco or something similarly gm-less comes to mind for me.
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

Also! I'd really like to play a game of The Quiet Year. I have a copy of the pdf version so lmk if anyone wants to play that with me also :)
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

This game has such a fun concept I thought I should share with y'all. It's like what if bugs was mechs

https://frogwhogames.itch.io/beeon-genesis