FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #2: Super Mario (And Wario) Land (GB)

Talk about games! Anyone can play these games. We're about to release new games (and you'll love these games)
goblinoidguy
gay

Re: FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #2: Super Mario (And Wario) Land (GB)

Post by goblinoidguy »

i really stuggled this time beating a boss, havent even mentioned the others cause they were so easy, but this BASTARD named shoot, kicked my ass thourghly. doodle of the fucker underneath the spoiler
Spoiler!
bastard
Image ImageImage
ROBBYDUDE
I BLADE YOU FOREWELL
Italy

Post by ROBBYDUDE »

|^^^^^^^^^^^^| ,,
| SEXY TRUCK | '|""";.||.___.
|_..._...______==== _|__|..., ] |
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)
goblinoidguy
gay

Post by goblinoidguy »

porgressed alot, but my controller broke : ( im now a keyboard warrior got a buncha power ups too. doodle of my fav wario transformation below the spoiler
Spoiler!
I LOVE this guy, seriously look up the sprites they are amazing
Image ImageImage
Finch
Pokéfreak Extraordinaire
Wales

Post by Finch »

Been playing Super Mario Land for like, short half hour to hour long stretches between things. It's... Alright. It's such a weird entry in Mario platformers. A bunch of weird enemies that I don't think I've seen in any other Mario game.

From what I've seen of Super Mario Land 2 and Warioland they are much more interesting than the original Super Mario Land though, so I might hop off to one of those instead.
ImageImageImage
goblinoidguy
gay

Post by goblinoidguy »

beat warioland 3 and have begun warioland 2! i really think it makes more sense to play them like this since you have all the powerups from warioland 3 at the begining of 2. overall htoughtsw on warioland 3 is that it was super fun, but i recommend using save states cause since you cant die, it has to waste your time to punish you, and with bosses it can get REALLY annoying, but other than that, nothing super worth noting! final warioland 3 doodle underneath the cut!
Spoiler!
Image ImageImage
Cuboid64
You can say anything you want online, o poster mine.
Brazil

Post by Cuboid64 »

About to hit up the boss of Mt. Teapot in WL1, found two of the secret treasures and I will do My Best to find them all without a guide! WL1's weird, there's some of the exploration and backtracking of the later games but otherwise it's pretty linear-level-based.

Y'all see that Direct btw
VentusVulture
gayass animal
Wales

Post by VentusVulture »

Just finished Super Mario Land 2! I had a lot of fun with this game. To keep it brief, the world map and level design was fun and I really liked the way the game played movement wise (though that might just be since the last Mario game I played was SMB3 which sucks in terms of movement), not to mention the bosses were all unique and challenging (I really liked the watcher knights pigs) (this might again just be because SMB3's only boss is Boom Boom). I also like that coins have an actual use in this game (even if it is just to get lives, though I did get a whole ass 99 of them from gambling). The ability to do worlds in any order was also nice! I do wish the game was longer or had a few more worlds since it only took me about an hour and a half to get all the secret exits and whatnot though.
Spoiler!
jason voorhees in mario Image
Finch
Pokéfreak Extraordinaire
Wales

Post by Finch »

I did end up abandoning Super Mario Land, I got to 3-3, got a game over and decided that was enough of that one and moved on to Super Mario Land 2.

I played Super Mario Land 2 for a little bit on my lunch break yesterday (only played two levels, no coins) and then 4/6 gold coins this evening. Much more charm in 2! There are so many cute enemies, the levels themes are fun and adding the overworld map in 2 makes it feel less like a random series of places you're going and more like an adventure. I LOVE the space themed area, I was sad it was so short.

A lot of the levels you can skip significant chunks of if you have the bunny powerup, which I appreciate personally. It feels satisfying to just glide over half the level, occasionally seeing a paragoomba spawn below you. Your mileage may vary depending on the level you're on though.

Definitely going to finish this one, excited to see what's in the big scary castle with a giant W on it. No idea what could possibly be in there.
ImageImageImage
Finch
Pokéfreak Extraordinaire
Wales

Post by Finch »

Just beat Super Mario Land 2! Had a bunch of fun with this one. The last level is pretty difficult, they really test you on some of those jumps and the gods damned spiky balls EVERYWHERE. Having the ability to save AND checkpoints in Super Mario Land 2 was much appreciated.

Favorite level is still the space level but the spooky level has some of the best enemies and the overall theme is super fun of that one.
Spoiler!
I don't know Mario lore so I don't know if this was the first introduction to Wario or anything but the fact that he's just some weirdo little goblin guy in this is so funny. I also don't know if we just straight up stole this dude's house or if this was Mario's house and Wario took over it.
ImageImageImage
goblinoidguy
gay

Post by goblinoidguy »

Finch wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:34 pm
Spoiler!
"I also don't know if we just straight up stole this dude's house or if this was Mario's house and Wario took over it."
Spoiler!
i think in the manual it says that this is marios island and that it was taken over by wario while mario was doing his last adventure on the gameboy!
Image ImageImage