Gotta Go Fast xD!!!!!! Speedrun Discussion!!!!!!

Talk about games! Anyone can play these games. We're about to release new games (and you'll love these games)
pennypeachy
cheap noob,im sorry but u sux and im gonna kick ur ass
United States of America

Re: Gotta Go Fast xD!!!!!! Speedrun Discussion!!!!!!

Post by pennypeachy »

goblinoidguy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:55 pm ive always wanted to start speedruning but ive never known where to start, got any game recommendations that i accquire cheaply or *ahem* "legally"?
id recommend portal!! if you dont have it (for some reason) its always on sale for like a dollar. being able to just fly through that game in like ~20mins is EXTREMELY fun. its also pretty easy to get a hold of the beginner routes if you're familiar with portal. the portal speedrun dot com page has some good guides for routes of different difficulties/categories, so id recommend checking that out if interested !
ImageImageImage
goblinoidguy
gay

Post by goblinoidguy »

pennypeachy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:53 pm id recommend portal!! if you dont have it (for some reason) its always on sale for like a dollar. being able to just fly through that game in like ~20mins is EXTREMELY fun. its also pretty easy to get a hold of the beginner routes if you're familiar with portal. the portal speedrun dot com page has some good guides for routes of different difficulties/categories, so id recommend checking that out if interested !
thank you!!!! portal does make a lot of sense, ill try it out!!
Image ImageImage
king_zigzag
king
Canada

Post by king_zigzag »

goblinoidguy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:55 pm ive always wanted to start speedruning but ive never known where to start, got any game recommendations that i accquire cheaply or *ahem* "legally"?
most people start speedrunning games they already love and play tons anyway, just cuz its fun learning about cool tech and glitches in your faves. thats probably not what youre asking though

as an indie game shill, there are tons of games worth checking out where speedrunning levels is a basic game mechanic. stuff like neon white, seum speedrunners from hell, and cyber hook are all good places to start if you wanna just practice going fast in levels built around encouraging it.

just some general advice too, dont get discouraged and restart a run if you die or lose time. its good to keep going so you get more practice for the later levels and build muscle memory. if i restarted every run whenever i hit a snag i still wouldnt have the speedrunning achievements for shovel knight
goblinoidguy
gay

Post by goblinoidguy »

king_zigzag wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:17 pm most people start speedrunning games they already love and play tons anyway, just cuz its fun learning about cool tech and glitches in your faves. thats probably not what youre asking though

as an indie game shill, there are tons of games worth checking out where speedrunning levels is a basic game mechanic. stuff like neon white, seum speedrunners from hell, and cyber hook are all good places to start if you wanna just practice going fast in levels built around encouraging it.

just some general advice too, dont get discouraged and restart a run if you die or lose time. its good to keep going so you get more practice for the later levels and build muscle memory. if i restarted every run whenever i hit a snag i still wouldnt have the speedrunning achievements for shovel knight
thanks! its gonna be hard to start since i get really discouraged if im not good at something immediatly but im working on internalizing the wisdom of "you gotta start somewhere"
Image ImageImage
mysteryROOSTER
gay

Post by mysteryROOSTER »

Should I attempt the Donkey Kong 64 Existential Suffering category, y/n?
ImageImageImageImageImage
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

mysteryROOSTER wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:12 am Should I attempt the Donkey Kong 64 Existential Suffering category, y/n?
Absolutely, couldn't possibly see how that could go wrong
Image Signature Under Construction Image (until I think of a better one)