FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #1: The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Talk about games! Anyone can play these games. We're about to release new games (and you'll love these games)
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Re: FreakBoards 2023 NES/GB Book Club #1: The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Post by SkieSquiggles »

Do any of you have tips on how to beat these blue darknuts? They're kicking my whole ass rn
Image Signature Under Construction Image (until I think of a better one)
Finch
Pokéfreak Extraordinaire
Wales

Post by Finch »

Just started today - played for about three hours and got two dungeons complete in the first hour and a half. The next half was me just trying to find something else I could get to.

I DID find a dungeon that was very difficult and realized it was. The sixth one. So. I know where that one is now! I also stumbled into the white sword and gave an old lady a piece of paper. She sells potions now. Finally looked up a map to help me find dungeon three and got the compass for it when I put the game down. I was trying not to look things up, but man I got so so lost. I was going in circles and just not going in the ONE direction I needed.

Fun so far but I desperately wish the game came with a map or at least vague directions for where the dungeons are beyond the first two in the manual.
ImageImageImage
pepper
user is based in on a true story
United States of America

Post by pepper »

SkieSquiggles wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:28 pm Do any of you have tips on how to beat these blue darknuts? They're kicking my whole ass rn
a higher tier sword is going to help a bunnch. and using bombs more in combat...

Commonly, killing moblin/darknuts/mummy will drop bombs often, so it's consistent to farm.
Spoiler!

You can also farm rupees a bunch in the graveyard...
Finch
Pokéfreak Extraordinaire
Wales

Post by Finch »

Beat the third dungeon and found the fourth pretty quickly after that. I am also now making a map by hand to help me figure out where I have and haven't been.

I am very very stuck on the fourth dungeon. My shield got eaten, the only enemies that drop things are the slimes and there aren't many so I've run out of rupees and hearts and the boss is kicking my ass every time. I've left the dungeon twice - once to buy a potion and a candle for the dark rooms and once just to grind rupees. And now I'm leaving AGAIN to grind rupees for a new shield. At least now I have the ladder and I know I saw a heart container on the east side of the map somewhere that the ladder will get me to.

So anyway fuck the fourth dungeon but maybe I just jumped into it too quickly.
ImageImageImage
Finch
Pokéfreak Extraordinaire
Wales

Post by Finch »

I beat the fourth dungeon! Took me. A very long time. Ended up playing for about ~4-5 hours today. Anyway when I saved this was my screen.

Nice

Also here is my map so far, which because it's in pencil will not be usable to anyone looking at it. It's barely usable to me though and I'm the one who made it.

I've got absolutely no idea where that fifth dungeon might be hiding. My current guess is somewhere in the mountains based off the fact that a lady in a waterfall told me to climb up, up a mountain. She could be full of shit though. That's next weekend's problem though.
ImageImageImage
VentusVulture
gayass animal
Wales

Post by VentusVulture »

Just beat level 8 before beating level 4 since
Spoiler!
it has the magical key and I don't want to have to deal with keys
. Don't do this it sucks so much and it's barely worth it for the trouble you have to go through
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

VentusVulture wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:32 pm Just beat level 8 before beating level 4 since
Spoiler!
it has the magical key and I don't want to have to deal with keys
. Don't do this it sucks so much and it's barely worth it for the trouble you have to go through
o7 Braver than the troops
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

Did a fuckin TON today gamers. Got through 3 labyrinths, upgraded my sword again, got a ton of new items. My next dungeon is the 8th one, and I'm really not sure where even to look. I did end up looking at a guide a little bit but not for too much. I was really struggling with a few parts but after getting past those brief hurdles I was having a blast yet again. There's some really cool stuff in this game, and I can tell it's going to inspire my future projects for a while.
Image Image Image Here's some other screenshots I took:
Spoiler!
Here's my inventory when I finished for the night

Mfrs really do be grumbling in the catacombs

The Legend of Zelda for the Nintendo Entertainment System has fucking FAST TRAVEL in it dude this game has everything
Cuboid64
You can say anything you want online, o poster mine.
Brazil

Post by Cuboid64 »

Found some stuff and beat Level-2, currently getting my ass kicked by Darknuts in Level-3.
VentusVulture
gayass animal
Wales

Post by VentusVulture »

Just beat the game! I'm not entirely sure if I got 100% (or how you would categorize 100% for this game) since I didn't visit every spot of the map, but I believe I got every possible item I could
Spoiler!
barring keys since I got the magical key very early (again. don't do this. it makes level 8 so much worse.)
My total playtime was about 3 hours and 15 minutes in the end. I remember not liking this game that much when I first played it since I felt like so much stuff was obtuse and confusing to find – I ended up using a map for most of the playthrough (and a pretty cool one - it's like the first result on google if you want to check it out), and a guide sometimes, which helped my enjoyment of the game immensely, and I had a lot of fun playing it! Looking forward to the next one, or maybe even playing through again sometime.