Dwarf Fortress Stories

Talk about games! Anyone can play these games. We're about to release new games (and you'll love these games)
Jacknerik
i'm the dude
United States of America

Dwarf Fortress Stories

Post by Jacknerik »

Since Dwarf Fortress Steam edition is out now, I figured I would make a thread as an archive of all the stories people have come across playing the game. This could also be a general discussion thread for the game, or a place for answers if anyone had any questions about it.
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Re: Dwarf Fortress Stories

Post by SkieSquiggles »

Awe hell yeah I was just about to make this thread! I don't have the steam edition but it's made me want to play the version I do have again. Excited to post some stuff once I get back into the game
Image Signature Under Construction Image (until I think of a better one)
Jacknerik
i'm the dude
United States of America

Post by Jacknerik »

My fortress had it's first siege in the form of 6 crossbow goblins showing up out of nowhere. The guard dogs I had watching the entrance were enough to get everybody back inside in time for the drawbridge to close. I figures since there were so few and weren't armed that well, I reasoned a basic squad with basic iron armor could take them out easily enough. I gave the work orders and conscripted a few dwarfs that were doing fuck all and soon enough had the team outside the main gate. I let down the drawbridge, and sure enough the squad went to work, with the militia captain taking off a goblin's head with a single axe swing. The entire squad made it through no problem, except for one poor trapper that was recruited without any experience. the moment the bridge was down, he caught a crossbow to his upper body that despite his mail shirt, manage to hit him square enough to tear the nervous tissue of the spine. This was enough for everything from the neck down to paralyze... including the lungs. He managed to live through the fight, but only barely as he suffocated a few moments after the battle was done. Despite the difficulties, he did succeed in biting a goblin in the leg before he passed away.
Jacknerik
i'm the dude
United States of America

Post by Jacknerik »

"What're you reading about?"
"Nothing."
SlothfulSpectre
Going 5 Dollar Mode
Brazil

Post by SlothfulSpectre »

so how big brained do i need to be to play the steam version, i've always been interested in dwarf fortress but i could never figure it out
sydsavage16
100% Trans Fat
United States of America

Post by sydsavage16 »

SlothfulSpectre wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:32 pm so how big brained do i need to be to play the steam version, i've always been interested in dwarf fortress but i could never figure it out
It’s a tough game to get into, but it’s worth it. Top 3 advice:
1) booze is more important than food
2) they only eat a few meals per season
3) dig deeper! Your first main base should be 5 or more levels underground
SkieSquiggles
They/It
Italy

Post by SkieSquiggles »

Super excited to see what kinds of Adventure Mode stories people get up to with the steam release. I always felt like adventure mode was too overwhelming to enjoy properly.
Image Signature Under Construction Image (until I think of a better one)
Jacknerik
i'm the dude
United States of America

Post by Jacknerik »

SlothfulSpectre wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:32 pm so how big brained do i need to be to play the steam version, i've always been interested in dwarf fortress but i could never figure it out
The graphical update definitely helps with one of the biggest hurdles, but at its core it's a game that only works if you take the time to understand it. Despite it's reputation, Dwarf Fortress's difficulty mainly comes from it being obtuse rather than punishing. My one piece of advice is to take it slow and look into everything. Learn what each menu does and experiment with them, check to see what your dwarfs are doing and thinking, look at the wiki if you're not sure about something, ask questions on here. If you start in an area with a stream and some plants, your dwarfs won't be in danger for the first year or so unless you get really unlucky with the wildlife.
Jacknerik
i'm the dude
United States of America

Post by Jacknerik »

I was making some golden furniture to boost the value on some Nobel's room while I was making some traction benches for the hospital. I didn't realize my mistake until it was too late. At least I hope the dwarfs with broken bones will appreciate it.

Last edited by Jacknerik on Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacknerik
i'm the dude
United States of America

Post by Jacknerik »

Uh oh